The Good Hope FM Campus DJ Search for 2012 has started and students at tertiary campuses across the peninsula are encouraged to start polishing up their party skills to enter.
Participating campuses are the University of the Western Cape (UWC), University of Stellenbosch, Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) Cape Town, Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) Bellville and Varsity College in Rondebosch.
Due to the response in 2010 and 2011, it was decided to also open the floor for students who attend smaller independent tertiary institutions and they will have the opportunity to enter as wild cards at Canal Walk to test their skills in the Campus DJ Search.
“We look forward to the new DJ search, as it is an opportunity for the station to get in touch with fresh new talent and also create a break for a young individual to enter the commercial radio arena,”
says programme manager Gerard Muller.
Most campuses will be visited over a two-day period, (with the exception of the University of Stellenbosch and Canal Walk that will handle entries on one day only). The first day will be an open MIC session, where anyone can try out and the panel of judges will then choose a group of finalists.
On day two, the finalists from that campus will get to try out again in order for the panel of judges to choose one person who will represent his or her campus in the final, on-air leg of this competition.
Once all the venues have been visited and a representative (finalist) from each venue has been selected, each finalist will get the opportunity to co-host a show with Stan Mars (Mondays to Thursdays from 22:00 to 02:00). The judges will then determine who the overall winner is and will offer the winner a DJ contract on Good Hope FM.
Ebrahiem Inglis will be the MC at all the campuses to guide all the contenders through the judging process.
There is a rotating panel of judges:
- Guy McDonald (host of Good Hope FM Breakfast with Guy McDonald)
- Nigel Pierce (host of The Nigel Pierce Show)
- SeanO (host of the Ozone and the Good Hope FM Top 30)
- Carl Wastie (host of The Teen Show)
- Stephanie B (host of the Weekend Breakfast Show)
- Gerard Muller (programme manager)
- Natano Brache (station manager)
Dates to diarise
Each of the campuses below will be visited from 11.30am for registration, with the auditions taking place from 12-1pm each day to handpick a finalist.
- 10 & 11 April – Varsity College Rondebosch
- 16 & 17 April – CPUT Bellville (Dome of Remembrance)
- 19 April – University of Stellenbosch (Neelsie Food Arena) (one day only from 12:00 to 14:00)
- 23 & 30 April – CPUT Cape Town (the Piazza)
- 24 & 25 April – University of the Western Cape (UWC) (Student Centre)
- 5 May – Canal Walk (registration at 11.30am and finals from 12-2pm)