The iconic American restaurant brand, Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen, will soon serve authentic Louisiana-inspired chicken in South Africa.
On Friday 13 July, Guests can experience the mouth-watering menu at the first Popeyes restaurant in South Africa, located in the Sandton City food court. Popeyes restaurants offer signature bone-in fried chicken, available in spicy or mild flavours, along with boneless chicken tenders and a wide variety of delicious Signature Sides, featuring the fan favourite, Cajun fries.
The chicken-loving nation of South Africa can finally enjoy the distinctive flavours of Popeyes fried chicken and tasty Cajun fries. Here are a few facts about Popeyes to get you ready for the Grand Opening.
Where did Popeyes get its’ name?
– Everyone thinks Popeyes got its name from the spinach-loving cartoon character, but the name actually came from a famous fictional 1970’s detective. Detective Jimmy ‘Popeye’ Doyle, the fictional lead character of the movie, The French Connection, is the real inspiration behind the brand name.
Popeyes around the world
– Popeyes currently has restaurants in more than 25 countries.
– The Popeyes restaurant in Sandton City, Johannesburg is the only Popeyes on the continent of Africa and the first to open in South Africa.
What makes Popeyes so unique?
– Popeyes founder, Al Copeland, created a one-of-a-kind chicken recipe that is marinated in Louisiana-inspired seasonings, then hand battered, breaded and fried – creating a juicy-on-the-inside, crispy-on-the outside chicken guests have been craving for more than 45 years.
– Popeyes has proprietary seasonings that are used to marinate the chicken for 12 hours, creating the richly seasoned flavours in both the mild and spicy versions.
– At least 60% of the employees at the Popeyes in Sandton City are first-time work-seekers from Harambee Youth Employment Accelerator who have been trained to meet Popeyes international requirements.
Spice… and all things nice
– At Popeyes, flavour is everything! The Popeyes chicken recipe is based on a 300-year old culinary tradition, which incorporates a fusion of cooking styles, a rich blend of proprietary seasoning and spices sourced from around the globe, including Africa.
– Popeyes offers both well-seasoned mild chicken, as well as a more spicy chicken option that South Africans are bound to love.
What’s in a biscuit?
– Have you heard of the famous American Biscuit, but not had the pleasure of tasting? Get your taste buds ready – this legendary American side dish is a speciality of Popeyes!
– The delicious and freshly baked Popeyes Buttermilk Biscuit join a wide selection of authentic Signature Sides available on the local menu.