Just in time for Apple’s newest macOS update dubbed macOS Catalina, the long-lived music player iTunes has been shut down and it is now split up into three separate apps (Apple TV, Apple Music, and Podcasts).
The three all-new apps — Apple Music, Apple Podcasts and Apple TV— replace iTunes and will now be the new way to discover and enjoy music, TV shows, movies and podcasts on Mac.
The new Apple Music app is fast and features over 50 million songs, playlists, and music videos. Users will have access to their entire music library and new music can still be purchased from the iTunes Store.
The streaming also continues, with subscribers able to access over 50 million songs, playlists and music videos, you will also be able to access the iTunes Store through the Apple Music app and purchase individual songs or albums without a subscription.
Using the Apple Music App:
1. In your Mac Dock, click the Music app.
2. Use your Apple ID and password to sign in to the iTunes Store.
3. Tap the Get started listening button, and the Music app will show in your iTunes playlists as well as the ones iTunes made for you.
4. If none of your music is showing up and you sync your music library with Apple Music or iTunes Match, tap the Show all music button up at the top of the Music app. You can also choose the All Music option from the View menu to see all your songs.
Using the iTunes Store:
1. In the Music app, over on the left in the Music sidebar, and tap iTunes Store.
2. Apple’s music store should look familiar to you, with new music running down the center of the app’s window, charts over on the right and music that might interest you near the bottom.
The Apple TV app brings together different ways to find and watch movies and TV shows into one powerful app and features Apple TV channels, personalized recommendations and over 100,000 iTunes movies and TV shows to browse, buy or rent. And now Apple TV+, Apple’s original video subscription service, will also be available in the Apple TV app for Mac starting November 1.
Apple Podcasts offers more than 700,000 shows in its catalog and the option to automatically be notified of new episodes as soon as they become available. The app also features new show categories, curated collections and advanced search tools to allow users to search episodes by current events, people and even phrases.