The lockdown was enforced from 26 March 2020 and will go on until 16 April 2020, meaning people are not be allowed to leave their homes except under strict circumstances such as to seek medical care, buy food, medicine, and other supplies or collect a social grant.
With many people asking if e-hailing services like Uber, Taxify will be operational? The answer is yes, However, there a strict measures customers and drivers will need to follow during the period.
- Uber will operate for limited hours only : from 5am to 9am and 4pm to 8pm and for permitted travel purposes only, during the 21 day National lockdown.
- Traveling is restricted for obtaining an essential good or service or for rendering an essential service or for any other permitted purpose listed below
- Limitations on passengers
- UberX, UberGO, UberBLACK, UberASSIST, UberVIP – Maximum of 1 passenger
- UberXL – Maximum of 2 passengers
- UberVan – Maximum of 3 passengers
- We request that you sit in the back seat of the vehicle
- Please note it is iIllegal to transport any alcoholic beverages in your vehicles during the 21 day lockdown period
E-hailing services will be allowed to operate where it is for the:
- rendering or receiving of essential services; or
- obtaining essential goods; or
- seeking medical attention; or
- attending funeral services; or
- receiving payment of grants.