Remuneration: market related
Education level: Degree
Job level: Mid/Senior
Own transport required: Yes
Travel requirement: Occasional
[Position ID 60002547 – Scale Code 130]
Main purpose of the position:
To manage the programming department and drive the implementation of the 5FM station’s programming strategy to increase audiences.
* Develop, implement and manage the station’s programme strategy ensuring its optimal alignment to music policy, format and on-air sound, in consultation with the Station Manager and Station management team.
* Ensure optimal alignment between programme strategy and target audience.
* Ensure development, management and implementation of a programme strategy aligned with target audience needs and requirements, in order to grow target audience and exploit opportunities to generate revenue.
* Develop, manage and implement a strategic plan for local programmes.
* Determine, monitor, control and optimise programming budget and manage the cost effective utilisation of station budget.
* Oversee all international programme acquisitions and local programming and conduct continuous reviews of products, markets and revenue in order to meet strategic objectives.
* Plan and manage programme schedule in order to deliver high quality programmes to target audiences.
* Plan and manage the commissioning process (sponsorships, trade exchanges and product placement of programmes) and oversee co-production in accordance with SABC requirements.
* Manage, direct, lead and develop commissioning editors and international buyers.
* Ensure compliance to copyright laws and SABC mandate.
* Liaise with Sales and Marketing, Finance, Research, Scheduling and Legal departments to ensure Channel’s programme strategic objectives are met.
* Ensure station produces high quality programmes by the implementation and utilisation of quality monitoring systems.
* Develop and implement trade and consumer strategy, in order to optimise on target audience.
* Liaise closely with SABC Sales and Marketing, in order to define station’s sales needs and requirements.
* Support SABC radio airtime sales in identification of sales opportunities to be exploited by the sales team
* Identify and exploit alternative revenue streams
* Ensure efficient and effective day-to-day operations and utilisation of technology and facilities.
* Continual monitoring of performance of station, in terms of delivering on target audience requirements and profitability.
* Ensure station stays abreast of developments, in order to ensure competitiveness.
* Manage on-air team and conduct regular snoop sessions.
* Ensure effective corporate governance and ensure adherence to SABC policies, procedures and mandate.
* Identification of new business opportunities, guiding and motivating the station in right direction and developments.
* Liaise with external and internal stakeholders, in order to ensure optimal delivery on requirements.
* Build capable on-air station team in the form of skilled people in all areas and with sound business process in place.
* Direct, performance manage, develop and motivate the on-air station team
Qualifications and Experience:
• Relevant degree/diploma (Marketing/Communications/General Management/Journalism)
• Three – five years Radio Programming experience.
• Three – five years management experience.
• Proven track record in successful business management.
• Knowledge of production techniques, procedures and standards.
• Knowledge of broadcast rules, regulations and guidelines.
• Knowledge of programming techniques, procedures and standards.
• Experience in budget preparation, analysis, and monitoring.
The ideal candidate must have:
• The ability to interpret and develop reports using a variety of statistical data.
• Must demonstrate proficiency in developing a variety of programming decisions related to news broadcasts, musical programming.
• Persuasive and strategic communicator with excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to develop strategies and plans.
• Strong collaborative skills and ability to contribute to a team environment.
• Ability to motivate, train and develop the talents of others.
• Must be self-motivated, results oriented and goal focused.
• Well-organized, with exceptional attention to detail and follow through.
• Able to handle multiple projects and demonstrated time management skills.
• Leadership and personnel skills and ability to develop high performing teams.
• Ability to consistently work well with others and to inspire and lead the staff.
Interested candidates must forward their applications with a concise cv to: Human Resources Manager, Room 509, Radio Park, fax 011 714 3752
Closing Date: 29 July 2011
Preference will be given, but not limited to, candidates from designated groups in terms of the Employment Equity Act and the SABC’s Employment Equity initiatives.
If you have not heard from us in 6 weeks of the closing date, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
Human Resources Manager
011 714 2905