Mzansi Magic is bringing another interesting show to our screens.
And it’s a series which explores daily life of The Ranaka’s……….yes Dineo Ranaka’s family.
The modern world has left African families in a state of flux. Every day the young generation juggle careers, parenthood, relationships, media noise, and future uncertainty; whilst the older folk try and impose longstanding, at times obsolete, traditions on them. Mzansi Magic’s new reality series, The Ranakas takes a candid look at how an authentic local family deals with the stresses of 21st century living, within an African context.
Hailed as “a glimpse into the everyday lives of an authentic African family”, The Ranakas is a spin-off of the highly successful VUZU AMP reality show Dineo’s Diary starring Dineo Ranaka, wherein viewers caught glimpses of this very animated household.
The interesting family dynamic is fueled by a mix of 7 very distinct characters:
– A writer and publisher, the 70-something Kgotlaesele Ntate Ranaka is the willful, outspoken traditionalist, who is seen as the head of the family, and often tries to impose his cultural views on the kids.
– Catering business owner, Mama Siba Ranaka is the wise family matriarch. Often seen as the voice of calm in the storm, she’s at times regarded as an “enabler” for bad behaviour.
– Manaka Ranaka is the eldest sibling. A popular figure, known for her string of high profile drama and production roles, she’s inherited her dad’s strong-willed personality, placing an emphasis on respect. Despite her famous public profile, Manaka prefers the simple life and shies away from the media industry limelight.
– Mpumi is the insightful, introvert. This gentle soul is a writer, mom and home-maker.
– Television producer, media personality and mind coach, Dineo Ranaka is the versatile go-getter, struggling to balance family life with her newfound success.
– Entrepreneur, Ziggy Ranaka is seen as the hustler of the family and is the eldest son. We pick up on his previously documented wedding plans from Dineo’s Diary.
– Ranaka Ranaka is the family’s last born and fully embraces his youthful lifestyle. Ranaka is a highly talented creative, DJ, and event organizer. Dineo has described him as “the one who will be the most successful of all of us.”
Dineo, who has now made the transition from on-screen talent, to executive producer commented on their journey, “It’s been an incredible experience working on this production with my amazing, dynamic family. The Ranakas wear their hearts on their sleeves. We are a vibrant family made of strong characters, and I believe that the audience will form personal relationships with each character. The truest, most genuine family dynamics will be seen: from tests of loyalty, sibling rivalry, love and all its challenges, to joy and sorrow alike, the production is nothing short of incredible. I’m excited for the country to share in on our story.”
Catch The Ranakas from Thursday, 12 January at 8PM on Mzansi Magic (DStv channel 161).