PUMA recently released its first-quarter sales results for FY19 and good news for the Sportswear Giant as they secured the best quarter with revenues of €1,319 million (+15.3% currency adjusted).
“The first quarter of 2019 was the best quarter PUMA has ever seen. Revenues of € 1,319 million (+15.3% currency adjusted) is the highest PUMA has ever achieved in a quarter and the EBIT of € 143 million (EBIT-margin 10.8%) was also the highest absolute EBIT PUMA has ever achieved. So, it has been a very good start into the year. The growth in all regions and all product divisions shows that we continue to make progress. Even if we have nine more months to go and despite a lot of uncertainty in the market, we feel comfortable that we will achieve our guidance for the full year.” said PUMA CEO Bjorn Gulden in a statement.
The regions Asia/Pacific, driven by China, and the Americas contributed with double-digit sales growth, while sales in EMEA increased solidly. In terms of divisions, Apparel was the main growth driver in the quarter, followed by Accessories and Footwear. The categories Running and Training, Teamsport, Motorsport and Golf on the performance side as well as Sportstyle all recorded strong growth. The double-digit increase in both wholesale and direct-to-consumer sales underlines a well-balanced growth of our business.
2019 PUMA First-Quarter Facts:
- Sales increase by 15.3% currency-adjusted to € 1,319 million (+16.6% reported), driven by continued growth in all regions and product divisions
- Gross profit margin improves by 80 basis points to 49.0%
- Operating expenses (OPEX) increase to € 511 million (last year: € 437 million) due to higher sales related variable costs, including logistics costs as well as higher marketing and retail investments
- Operating result (EBIT) improves by 27.0% to € 143 million (last year: € 112 million)
- PUMA signs the football clubs Manchester City and Valencia CF
- PUMA will be official matchball partner of Spanish Football League “LaLiga” starting season 2019/20
- PUMA becomes the exclusive merchandise and trackside retail partner of Formula 1
- PUMA’s shareholders approve share split 1:10 at the Annual General Meeting on April 18
- Héloïse Temple-Boyer and Fiona May elected as new members of the supervisory board
One can’t brush-off the upturn of PUMA and what the brand has been delivering in the past months, with the fresh drops from their RS line, to the Thunder releases, as well as dope collabs alongside Polaroid, Coogi, Pepsi, Mike Cherman, Les Benjamins, and others.
Be on the lookout for their next drops, one of them includes the PUMA RS-X TECH Motorola releasing on Saturday, 04 May 2019 – get more details.