Apple released a new screening tool and set of resources to help people stay informed and take the proper steps to protect their health during the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), based on the latest CDC guidance.
The new COVID-19 website, and COVID-19 app available on the App Store, were created in partnership with the CDC,1 the White House Coronavirus Task Force and FEMA to make it easy for people across the country to get trusted information and guidance at a time when the US is feeling the heavy burden of COVID-19.
The COVID-19 app and website allow users to answer a series of questions around risk factors, recent exposure and symptoms for themselves or a loved one. In turn, they will receive CDC recommendations on next steps, including guidance on social distancing and self-isolating, how to closely monitor symptoms, whether or not a test is recommended at this time, and when to contact a medical provider. This new screening tool is designed to be a resource for individuals and does not replace instructions from healthcare providers or guidance from state and local health authorities.
How to use Apple’s COVID-19 screening app and website
- Download Apple’s COVID-19 app here or head to the website (app only available in the US)
- On the landing page you’ll see sections for more info on COVID-19, “What You Can Do”, and “COVID-19 testing”
- If you need to figure out next steps for yourself or someone else who is ill, choose the blue Start Screening button
- Pick if you are taking the screening for yourself or someone else
- Follow the prompts and answer all the questions to the best of your ability
- At the end of the screening, you’ll get a recommendation on the next steps to take
The company said users’ individual responses will not be sent to Apple or any government organization.
The app and website also offer access to resources to help people stay informed and get the support they need. Users will receive answers to frequently asked questions about COVID-19, including who is most at risk and how to recognize symptoms. In addition, they will learn the most up-to-date information from the CDC like best practices for washing hands, disinfecting surfaces and monitoring symptoms.
Anyone in the US who is 18 years or older can access the screening tool and resources today by downloading the COVID-19 app on the App Store or visiting apple.com/covid19.