SABC’s Metro FM is looking for a Programme Manager to develop and implement a programme strategy aligned with radio platforms, specifying the acquisition, commissioning, and production of international and local programmes to meet SABC mandate and radio requirements to target audiences that inform, educate and entertain.
This is a 5-year contract position.
Closing Date: 25 May 2021
- Develop and implement a Programming strategy in line with overall Radio strategy and objectives/goals.
- Conduct continuous reviews of on-air products (formats), markets and revenue opportunities, in order to meet strategic objectives and ensure that the station maintains its competitive edge.
- Liaise with various internal stakeholders (i.e. Sales and Marketing, Finance, Market Intelligence, sport, Education, etc.) and external parties, to ensure the station’s mandate and programming objectives are met.
- Develop and implement a multi-pronged talent management plan in line with audience needs and future proofing of the station.
- Develop a multi-platform media strategy to grow audience base.
- Monitor and manage the output of Programming plans for the station, keeping within allocated budget.
- Commission research and implement insights to ensure high quality programming and deliver to audience needs.
- Monitor and review programmes to ensure continuous improvement and alignment with station positioning.
- Conduct talent scouting exercises and maintain a talent bank for station voices and creatives.
- Explore opportunities for Co-productions and product placement, for cost containment and revenue generation.
- Interact with radio sales to ensure that product campaigns run smoothly and are on time for prodcast.
- Utilize marketing resources and digital platforms to create talent and product awareness campaigns.
- Work with digital specialists to build and grow online communities around the station’s on-air products.
- Ensure adhere to licence conditions, and relevant legislation in broadcasting i.e. ICASA quotas, Broadcast Act, etc.
- Monitor and report on operational risks and non-compliance matters.
- Develop and implement internal control measures to ensure good governance within the programming value chain.
- Manage risks to protect organisational integrity, create value, prevent financial losses and ensure compliance with applicable policies.
- Implement recommendations of internal audits and address identified gaps.
- Compile reports for various internal and external structures.
- Engage constantly with Internal and External business partners to achieve business objectives.
- Respond timorously to complaints.
- Liaise with Radio Sales and Adventure on programme sponsorships, trade exchanges and product placement in programmes to realize revenue.
- Liaise with internal and external content providers to ensure new innovations, cutting edge content, and alignment to organizational and national goals.
- Effective implementation of Performance Management System in accordance with organizational policy.
- Manage adequate staffing for workload, succession planning and effective leadership.
- Effective briefing and communication with departmental staff and line management.
- Complete Personal Development Plans (PDP) for all staff members.
- Provide individual coaching, counseling and mentoring of staff to assess and address developmental needs.
- Transfer of skills in line with succession planning.
- Manage available staff and identify potential to ensure fair and balanced distribution of work.
- 3 year National Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in Communication/Media Studies/Business Management or equivalent qualification (NQF level 6)
- 6 years’ experience in Radio broadcasting of which 3 years should be at supervisory level.
- Develops well defined communication strategy for the business unit
- Markets and promotes the organization to external stakeholders
- Demonstrates logical problem solving approach and provides rationale for proposed solutions
- Develops and incorporates best practice people management processes, approaches and tools across finance departments.
- Creates processes to ensure accountability for people management and development.
- Develops comprehensive, integrated strategies and approaches to managing human resources and adaptive leadership style
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of Radio production processes and broadcast systems.
- Excellent understanding of the public mandate and SABC editorial prescripts.
- Understanding of applicable legislative frameworks and regulations, ICASA, BCCSA Code, SABC Editorial Policies.
- Advanced knowledge of programming tools and formats.
- Budget formulation and control.
- Advertising laws and regulations.
- Project management skills.
- Strategy development and execution
- Creative thinking.
PROGRAMME MANAGER: METRO FM
REPORT LINE: BUSINESS MANAGER: METRO FM
SAP POSITION ID: 60017949
SCALE CODE: 130