The 2023 Trace Awards held in Kigali, Rwanda this past weekend (21 October 2023) celebrated the music industry’s outstanding talent, with Davido and Rema taking the spotlight on the night.
Burna Boy‘s “Love Damini” won Best Album, and Vivian Chidid was named Best Female Artist. Diamond Platnumz was recognized as Best Artist in East Africa, while Rwandan artist Bruce Melodie triumphed as the Best Rwandan Artist.
Lisandro Cuxi was celebrated as Best Artist Africa – Lusophone. Nigeria’s 2Face received the Lifetime Achievement award. The Caribbean’s Rutshelle Guillance, the Indian Ocean’s Goulam, and North Africa’s Dystinct were named the best artists in their respective regions. Yemi Alade’s “Baddie” won the Best Video award, and Mr. Eazi received the special ChangeMarker award for his philanthropic work.
Furthermore, British rapper Central Cee was recognized as the Best Artist in the UK, Tayc as the Best Artist in France & Belgium, Ludmilla as the Best Artist in Brazil, and Michael Brun as the Best DJ for Haiti. The awards celebrated the diverse and rich talents of Africa and Afro-inspired artists from over thirty countries across various continents.
Here is the full list of winners:
– Best Female: Viviane Chidid (Senegal)
– Best Artist – East Africa: Diamond Platnumz (Tanzania)
– Best Male: Davido (Nigeria)
– Best Artist – France & Belgium: Tayc (France)
– Best Global African Artist: Rema (Nigeria)
– Nomcebo (South Africa)
– Best Artist – UK: Central Cee (UK)
– Song of the Year: “Calm Down” – Rema (Nigeria)
– Best Artist – The Caribbean: Rutshelle Guillaume (Haiti)
– Best Music Video: “Baddie” – Yemi Alade (Nigeria)
– Best Artist – Indian Ocean: Goulam (Comoros)
– Best Newcomer powered by Luc Belaire: Roselyne Layo (Ivory Coast)
– Best Artist – Brazil: Ludmilla (Brazil)
– Best Collaboration: “Unavailable” – Davido (Nigeria) with Musa Keys (South Africa)
– Best Artist – North Africa: Dystinct (Morocco)
– Best DJ: Michael Brun (Haiti)
– Best Artist Africa – Francophone: Didi B (Ivory Coast)
– Best Producer: Tam Sir (Ivory Coast)
– Best Artist Africa – Lusophone: Lisandro Cuxi (Cape Verde)
– Best Gospel Artist: KS Bloom (Ivory Coast)
– Best Artist – Rwanda: Bruce Melodie (Rwanda)
– Best Live: Fally Ipupa (DRC)
– Album of the Year: “Love Damini” – Burna Boy (Nigeria)
– Best Dancer: Robot Boii (South Africa)
– Best Artist Africa – Anglophone: Asake (Nigeria)
– Change Maker: Mr Eazi (Nigeria)
– Lifetime Achievement: 2Face